Required Computer Knowledge
Students are required to have a prerequisite level of computer knowledge and familiarity in order to be successful in the CGA program of professional studies. Students are not expected to be experts, but they are expected to know how to perform common and frequently used functions, including the following:
- Use Windows Explorer or Computer to navigate to any specified folder on any fixed or removable drive on your system
- Perform basic file management including: creating/deleting folders; copying, moving or deleting files; and changing folder view settings to see appropriate file information
- Close or disable all applications running in the background, and how to ensure these are not running
Install and uninstall software
- Perform Windows Updates
- Check if System Restore is turned on
- Verify language, date and time format settings
- Adjust screen resolution
- Use the snipping tool accessory to capture a screen image
Should you require additional help, please review the Microsoft Windows website:
- Use the Help menu within an application to find a solution to a problem and learn how to use the application’s functions and features
- Use Copy/Cut, Paste and Paste Special
- Format paragraphs
- Use tables
- Use bullets and numbering
- Use tabs and rulers, adjust margins, etc.
- Save in different file formats
- Enter formulae and text using relative and absolute referencing to other cells
- Format cells
- Replicate cells
- Display/print formulas
- Print multiple handouts per page
Should you require additional help please review the Microsoft office website:
- Download and save files from the Internet to your computer
- E-mail attachments and save attachments received in e-mail messages
- Change settings for cookies and popup blocker
- Open web pages in new browser tabs or windows
- Clear Internet Explorer browsing history and cache
CGA-Canada encourages the use of antivirus and internet security programs, but makes no specific recommendations. You must be familiar with the use, management, and updating of all such applications you have installed.
Required software and minimum computer configuration for students in the
2012/2013 CGA Program of Professional Studies
Required operating system and software
- Windows 7 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1* — English language versions only
- * Apple (Mac) Operating systems are not supported.
- Internet Explorer 8
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 or 2010 **
- ** Office 2013 and all Office Started Editions are not supported.
- ** The "Click-to-run" installation, 64 bit version is not supported.
- Acrobat Reader 9.x
- Windows Media Player 11.x
- Adobe Flash Player most recent version
- Versions released after this document was published may not be fully supported.
Textbook material on publishers’ websites may require additional software be installed.
Students are strongly advised to have up-to-date antivirus software or an Internet security package.
Students must have the ability to make changes to settings (including security) and install software (applications and browser plug-ins as required) on the systems they use.
Minimum student computer hardware
The following is the minimum computer system on which the above applications and software should be installed for use with specific courses in the CGA Program of Professional Studies, and interaction through the Blackboard Academic Suite™ Online Learning Environment:
- Intel core 2 duo or equivalent processor
- 2 GB Memory
- Up to 20 GB available hard drive space
- DVD/CD-ROM drive
- Video card with 128 MB onboard memory and DirectX technology
- 15” Monitor capable of 1024 X 768 resolution
- Sound card and speakers
- Broadband (high speed) Internet connection
- Any Windows-compatible printer
This configuration may not be adequate in future years or for other applications.